Friday, May 3, 2013

Fruit and Chocolate



I wasn't always a fan of fruit and chocolate.  In fact, I, the kid who would never turn down sugar, would wrinkle my nose at raspberry filled chocolate bars and those foil-covered chocolate oranges that my mom and my nanna shared at Christmastime.

Fast forward to today when my favorite chocolate bar is blackcurrant+hazelnut from Green and Black's, my favorite cake is this to-die for orange, olive oil, and chocolate cake, and today, I made pomegranate, chocolate, and orange muffins.  So far, they're my favorite gluten-free muffins, and their slightly nutty, perfectly muffiny buckwheat base makes them very adaptable.  And they're refined sugar free.  What more could you want from a muffin?

Find out how to make your own after the jump :)

There are lots of people who have claimed to find the gluten free muffin.  Now, those claims are true, because like boxed macaroni and cheese and banana ripeness, everyone's taste buds get tickled by different things.  If you're like me, and want a muffin that is substantial, lightly buttery and nutty in flavor, a deep color, and able to hold its own even among the most exotic and heavy of fillings, this is the muffin for you.

I chose to put pomegranate, chopped dark chocolate, and orange zest in mine.  I think this muffin base would also make a fabulous gluten free banana nut muffin.  I think it would be meh as blueberry, but I'd encourage you to test it out.  You never know until you try :)

To Make 40 (I KNOW) Smallish Muffins:

1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup sweet white sorghum flour
2 cups buckwheat flour
1 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons (or more) pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon sea salt

4 eggs
1 cup kefir
1 cup water
1/2 cup olive oil (or butter or other neutral oil)
Seeds from 2 small pomegranates
2 bars dark chocolate (6 oz total), chopped into small pieces (the darker the better, in this case)
Rind and juice from one very large, fresh orange or two small ones

Preheat the oven to 350.  If you aren't using nonstick, grease your muffin tin.  Whisk the flours together in a large bowl.  Add the powder, soda, spice, and salt.  Whisk to combine.  Add the sugar and whisk again.  You want to incorporate everything really well so you don't get a huge bite of sorghum.  Or, worse, of baking soda.  Set this bowl aside.

Seed the pomegranates.  There are a ton of tutorials online, but honestly, the easiest is to do it in a bowl of water.  The pith (the white membranes inside the fruit) will float to the top, and the seeds will sink.  Set the seeds aside.  Whisk the eggs, kefir, water, and olive oil until they are combined as they can be.  Add the orange zest (I like big chunks) and the juice.  Whisk again.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and fold them together.  Add the pomegranate seeds and chopped chocolate.

Spoon the batter into the muffin pan and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the middle comes out done.  Store in an airtight container or freeze.

They are very good with butter.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment