Saturday, November 3, 2012

First Loaf

When I was in middle school, I made my first loaf of bread.  It was whole grain bread, full of molasses and wheat flour and thick rolled oats.  It came together, rose, and baked perfectly.  It was like magic.  I was prepared for the first loaf to be an absolute flop.  But it wasn't; I made giant avocado and mustard sandwiches on it.  I toasted it and drizzled honey on it.  It was my bread.  Even though I branched out to white bread, to challah, to brioche, and to french bread, the sweet oat loaf held a special place in my heart.

On Thursday I made my first homemade gluten free bread.  From a mix, but still.  It turned out well -yeasty and hearty and full of holes.  It was also pale yellow and tasted pretty rice-like.  *sigh*  It toasted up fine, though, and was the perfect vehicle for melted butter and local homemade buckwheat honey and blueberry jam.

The next loaf will be even better.



No comments:

Post a Comment