Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tall, Dark, and Handsome

My parents both really like Medjool Dates.  I can't stand the things.  I think they taste weird.  I pick them out of my granola, I extract them from salads.  I don't understand how some people rave about them and call them dessert. Where I come from, a chocolate craving must be honored.


So how did I choose to make these?  I am a big fan of no or low added sugar.  In fact, most of the time I make dessert, I reduce the sugar by at least a quarter or substitute with honey.  I use raw sugar whenever I can.  Making a delicious cookie with fruit as the sweetener?  Yes please!


GNOWFGLINS is where I found all my sourdough information.  Truly a great resource for all sorts of nourishing and traditional foods!  This is especially true when you are looking for a gentle introduction to either GAPS or gluten free.

Since I'm leaving soon, I don't want to stock my pantry with a wide range of gluten free flours.  Since almond flour is pretty cheap and accessible here, I decided to take the plunge when it came to simple recipes.  So in the hunt for my new chocolate chip cookie recipe, here's try #1.

 
For 12 small cookies:

-1/2 cup softened butter 
-1.5 cups almond flour
-.25 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. vanilla (annoyingly NOT available in Germany.  Ick.)
-Cinnamon (I used lots.  I like cinnamon!)
-1 egg
-10 dates (mine were pretty small and already pitted)
-75-100g chocolate

Puree the dates until smooth.  My blender isn't super powerful so this didn't work so well, but they turned out ok.  I just got them as small as possible and just went on to the next step.  I sliced the butter up into .5-inch chunks and added it, along with the egg, to the blender.  If using vanilla (sniffle) now is the time to mix it in.  Mix the almond flour, salt, and cinnamon together and then pour it into the wet ingredients.  Blend until smooth.  Stir the chocolate chips in.  Form into 12 balls and bake at 350.  This part is weird.  The recipe says for 15-20 minutes, but mine were pretty well zapped after 7.  Maybe it's an oven calibration or pan thing.  Keep an eye on yours, and don't forget to check out the author's blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment