Monday, June 18, 2012

Banana Breakfast Squares

I like shaking up breakfast.  Cereal and milk one day, veggie eggs (scrambled eggs + frozen mixed veggies) the next.  Pancakes are, of course, a constant star.

With an overripe banana and some almost-overripe peaches hanging out in my room, I decided to act.  It wasn't enough for quick bread, and I wanted something a little healthier anyway.  After a little peeking, I found this recipe from Gingerbread and Bagels on Pinterest.  Healthy, yummy, and something to use up all the fruit :)

I replaced the milk with 1/2 cup pureed cooked peaches and left the sugar out.  I ate the results plain, but they would also be good with jam or fresh fruit.


*EDIT* the blogger seems to have disappeared, so here's the recipe.

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats 
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (I used peach puree, but you could use any sweet fruit puree)
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
 Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten 
1 large mashed banana 
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Combine the wet ingredients in a medium bowl.  Mix together and pour into a lightly-buttered 8x8-inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment