Friday, May 25, 2012

Pancake Days: Orange and Blackberry (almost) Gluten Free


What we eat for breakfast says a lot about who we are, culturally.  That makes me sound a little like Dr. Emma, "excuse-me-while-I-button-my-tweed-suit" the breakfast anthropologist.  No matter.  I grew up eating cereal every day.  Hot breakfasts were served for lunch or dinner (think coffee cake, scrambled eggs, pancakes, and bacon).  Here in Germany, breakfast is also cold.  People eat bread plain (like a pretzel or a Quarktasche) or rolls with jam, cold cuts, cheese, butter, or nutella.  They also eat muesli and yogurt.  I rather like this system too, and I've gotten quite used to it.  I just can't QUITE get on board with the sit-down hot breakfast.  It just seems like too much food, too warm, and too early.

Except.

I have a real thing for pancakes.  Thick.  Fluffy.  Golden.  Delicious.  Pancakes.  It's kind of a recent thing.  An infatuation, if you will.  Not sure if it will stand the test of time.



I decided to branch out from my usual plain/unsweetened/covered in maple syrup.  Since I'm out of the expensive aforementioned nectar of the gods, I needed to find a pancake recipe that could be eaten with just butter and fruit or nut butter, since it's what I had on hand.  I did a little looking and found a great natural foods blog, Sprouted Kitchen.  The newest recipe was just what I was looking for, Lemon-Blueberry Pancakes.  They looked sweet enough to be eaten sans syrup.  The ground almonds and beaten egg whites also intrigued me.


I used orange zest and orange juice in place of lemon, because it's what I had.  I also used kefir in place of the milk (again, cause it's what I had).  For the flour, I used a combination of almond flour and spelt.

Things didn't go quite as well as I was expecting, unfortunately.  The pancakes were impossible to flip, so they burned on the first side.  Even when I tried making teeny tiny ones, they still folded and splattered when I tried to turn them.  I used my favorite (and only, let's be real) non-stick pan, so I'm just not sure what happened.  Perhaps the lack of gluten is the culprit?

Despite their ugliness, and slight burned-ness, they were actually the most delicious pancakes I've ever eaten.  They had a super light, delicate flavor.  I couldn't really tell if they were sweet or salty or nutty or just the perfect, delectable combination.  I served them with butter and frozen blackberries.

Hot breakfast for lunch is good by me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment