Sunday, March 25, 2012

Coconut Ice Cream

 

My love of experimentation and general avoidance of dairy have led me to try some cold-dessert alternatives.  First was banana ice-cream.  I liked it a lot, but I have no blender here, so that was out.  Soy ice-cream from the store is out, since I don't eat soy.  Other non-dairy ice cream is ridiculously expensive and often has ingredient lists longer than I'd like.  After remembering that I had a leftover can of coconut milk and some honey in my cupboard, I decided to give it a try.

While I'm not on any sort of special diet, this recipe (Thank you Mommypotamus!) seemed like the simplest one.  I also had all the ingredients mentioned.

The Result: I wasn't the biggest fan.  It was too sweet for my tastes, but I think that was my fault for putting too much honey in.  In the future, I would try it with JUST coconut milk -it's pretty sweet already.




Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ cups coconut milk (1 Can)
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1-3 tablespoons honey (I used 2, and that was more than enough.  Should have stuck with 1.)
Directions:
  1. In a medium pot whisk egg yolks, honey, and salt together. Add coconut milk and whisk again until well combined.
  2. Place pot on stove over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes. Be sure not to let the mixture boil. Remove pot from the heat and stir in vanilla or any other flavoring (mint extract, almond extract, etc.) if you'd like to use one.
  3. Transfer contents of pot to a bowl and chill until cold.  Add any solid mix-ins you'd like (chocolate chips, nuts, sprinkles, etc.).  Pour into a freezer-safe container.  If you don't have an ice-cream maker, you can just stir it in the container every 20-30 minutes to ensure even freezing.
Serve with fruit.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment